Discretionary & Unit Trusts,
I solve tax problems and disputes for accountants, lawyers, family owned businesses and individuals.
My passion is helping clients reduce their stress by resolving their tax problems and disputes with the ATO.
There is no better feeling than when a client says that after 3 years of sleepless nights, they can now sleep at night.
During 30 years’ experience, I have saved my clients millions of dollars along the way including in roles as diverse as:
• Tax Counsel at the ATO: Over 13 years’ experience at the ATO in policy, technical and litigation areas, has given me a unique insight into the ATO's approach to interpretation, administration, and dispute resolution.
• Director, EY Tax Controversy: running complex tax litigation, managing client strategy, responses to ATO audits and settling complex tax disputes.
• Director at Deloitte, Indirect Tax
• Principal Lawyer, Moore Stephens Tax Lawyers
• Principal, Moore Stephens Tax Consulting: providing advice on complex tax issues, representing clients in negotiations with the ATO, and running AAT and Federal Court appeals.
• Barrister specialising in revenue law.
Some of the ways I now do this include:
• giving legal advice on how the tax laws apply
• tax effective structuring advice
• obtaining private rulings from the ATO
• legal representation during ATO audits
• objecting to ATO decisions
• negotiating settlements of tax disputes
• appealing ATO decisions and assessments to the AAT or Federal Court
• negotiating tax payment arrangements
• obtaining remission of tax penalties and interest
I am particularly known for tax dispute resolution. I have negotiated the settlement of major tax disputes and run complex tax litigation in the Federal Court and the AAT for both clients and the Commissioner of Taxation.
Legal Practitioner Director
Mathews Tax Lawyers Pty Ltd